Monday, August 6, 2012

Sewing with Scraps

It's nice to sort scraps, but it's even nicer to sew with scraps!  I meant to post this on Friday as a finish  and would have if my laptop hadn't finally shut down due to lack of storage.  It has been threatening to do that for months now but that's a story for another day....

Future Priority: Alzheimer's Quilts
I had so much fun making the Quilt Con blocks that I decided to make quilts for the AAQI with the leftovers.   
Sewing strips of fabric
 The strips of fabric in the picture above were chopped up, sewn back together, chopped up again and then sewn back together.  Somewhere along the line they started to come together as blocks.

Chopping and Sewing

 Have you noticed that scraps have a tendency to multiply exponentially?!  I am not saying that's a bad thing, but it does make me want to keep sewing which gets me in trouble with my family sometimes.

Still needs to be layered, basted and quilted
 This mini quilt top resembles one of my QuiltCon blocks quite a bit.  The dimensions are different of course, but the idea is the same.  Both minis are positioned on top of their backing.  Don't know why I took the pictures that way.

Lots of seams in this one
Both of these need to be made into quilt sandwiches and then finished, but I am happy to have made such progress this early in the month!

How about you?  How's your August going?

3 comments:

  1. Fun blocks! Good for you for sorting your scraps stash. I always feel more productive after doing that. I totally agree with you, sewing with scraps creates more scraps. But it sure is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them Rene'! I will return your email as soon as I cut through my over-flowing inbox. I am swamped over here, but taking a few moments for coffee and a few blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! The juxtaposition of the colors against the neutrals is just great. I do agree that scraps multiply. I was sewing with the same scraps over and over the other day, and the pile just didn't get smaller. I finally trashed them. Couldn't take it any more!

    ReplyDelete