Saturday, November 23, 2013

Double Wedding Ring Challenge

My piece for the Double Wedding Ring Challenge announced by the NYC Mod Quilt Guild and encouraged by our OrlandoMQG is finished!!!

This was my first attempt at the DWR block so I chose to make a quilt for the Small category which only requires one ring.  I used the EZ Quilting templates, and once I figured out which way the templates went and my seam allowance (scant 1/4" was too small), the block went together quite easily.

The process was similar to putting together a puzzle, and I was quite happy when the pieces all fit together nicely!  The fabrics for the rings are in blues and purples from my scrap basket.  The background, backing and binding fabrics are all from the Mama Said Sew line by Sweetwater for MODA.

Once the double wedding ring block was pieced together, I machine appliquéd it with a zig zag stitch onto the background fabric using gray thread (Aurifil 50wt #2610).  Using my walking foot and the same gray thread, I quilted around and inside the double wedding ring shape.  I also quilted circles around the outside of the ring.

I was having too much fun quilting circles around the ring that I just kept going.   This picture (above) shows my original quilt was a bit larger.  It wasn't until after quilting, binding and photographing the quilt and went to link up with the challenge that I realized my quilt was supposed to be 20" or smaller.  Six or eight inches was cut from each side, and I had to restitch the binding.  It's all good - I like the smaller size better for keeping the focus on the ring and I learned that I need to pay more attention in the future ;-)

I would not have attempted this block if it wasn't for the fact that our guild encouraged us to participate.  Thanks Yanick for that!  I can say this was quite a challenge for me as well as a learning experience.  No doubt I will make this block again.

Quilt stats:
Name:  Sewing Circle wall quilt
Pattern: Double Wedding Ring block
Finished size: 20" square
Fabric used: Mama Said Sew by Sweetwater and blues and purples from my scrap basket; pieced with Aurifil 50wt #2021
Quilted: by me using walking foot and Aurifil 50wt #2610; binding hand stitched with Aurifil #2692

Thanks for stopping by!!
Happy stitching,

Monday, November 4, 2013

Mini Monday: Queen for a Month

November is the month I get to be Queen Bee of our Mid Century Modern Bee group.  This is my first time participating in an online bee, and I had a difficult time choosing just one block idea.  So many quilt little time.

spiderweb block
another spider web block
I requested spider web blocks based on this tutorial from Heather.  However, I asked my fellow bee-ers not to assemble the four quadrants into blocks because I plan to follow this layout of Jacquie's.  The background fabric is low volume with the strips being bright modern fabrics.

spider web quilt in progress
Since I haven't decided whether I want each star to be of the same print (see picture labeled possible design option 1) or make the quilt even scrappier  (design option 2), I will wait until I receive all the block parts and play with the layout.  Of course that means more stitching for me...didn't think about that soon enough... ;-)

possible design option 1
possible design option 2
I can't wait until my blocks start arriving to see what combinations of fabrics my friends choose!  I know they will be fabulous!  Thanks in advance girls.

Clay Choice Variation
Here is October block I made for Elizabeth.  Click here to see how her beautiful Santa quilt is coming along.

Thanks for stopping by.
Happy Monday and happy stitching,

Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Finish: Scrappy Selvage Bag

Happy Friday and happy first of November!  It's great to start the month off with a sewing finish.  I am excited to show you the bag I made using the Scrap Happy Purse pattern by Crazy Mom Quilts

I made a huge mess in my sewing room playing with fabric from my one of many overflowing string basket and selvage basket.  I have to say it was so much fun!  

scrappy selvage bag
I thought this bag was a perfect opportunity to put a dent into the pile of selvages I have hoarded over the years.  When cutting my selvages I leave a wide strip of the fabric too.  There was no planning in the arrangement/choice of strips.  I just grabbed a strip from my pile and stitched it to another strip.  Next time I make this bag I will go with a more planned scrappiness ;-)

the other side of the bag
My original plan was to make one side of the bag with all selvages and the other side using all fabric strips.  In the end I decided rather to alternate the sections of selvages and strips.  I am very pleased with how this turned out!  I even made my first gusset and stitched "leather" handles to the bag.  The interior  lining is Anna Maria Horner Field Study linen that I bought on sale and the pockets are Amy Butler LOVE lined in Technicolor.

blurry inside picture
I find the more I use my scraps the more scraps I seem to end up with.  
I'm not complaining....I'm just saying....

I made another 3-D project!
I still have tons of scraps and selvages...I see another scrap happy bag in my future!
Linking up with Amanda Jean's finish it up Friday.  Thanks for stopping by,