Monday, November 14, 2011

No Worries

At last this shoo fly quilt is finished!!!  You have no idea how happy I am to cross this off my WIPs.


Because of being highly skilled at multitasking, I managed to finish this shoo fly quilt over the weekend while one the road to visit  my son (husband driving of course) and tailgating!  My kids kept teasing me that I was thinking of my next blog post titled  "This is my kind of tailgating!"  They knew something was up anytime I ask to have my picture taken when I asked my husband to take a picture of me hand stitching the binding.
My husband has been fired as the family photographer!
For several reasons, some of which I hope are obvious (if not, ask and I'll explain) and a few of which are personal, I decided a while back to name this shoo fly quilt No Worries.  


Towards the end of the process, however, I do believe the quilting gods were laughing at this choice of names as I had plenty of worries with this quilt.  It seems no matter how many times I did the math, I never had enough pieces to finish all the blocks so I would cut more center squares then more print squares and so on; I also worked on piecing the blocks with three different machines depending on whether I was in Orlando, Montana or at the quilt retreat in Minnesota resulting in three slightly different block sizes which made squaring up fun; lastly, I had to use two different machines for quilting because with only eight blocks to go, my Bernina  had a temper tantrum stopped cooperating, so I pulled out the machine I take to Sew Days and quilted the last few blocks that way.


Again, practicing my free motion quilting skills using a variegated thread by Mettler (#9814).  I quilted hearts inside the center squares and the other solid blue areas, while quilting a meandering stitch in all other areas.  After washing and drying, the quilt measures 52"x72".  I am sure everyone recognizes the pattern by Malka from her Color My Cloth book (so want to make her oversize shoo fly block quilt).  I adjusted the block size, number of blocks and added a 5" border.


The recipient is a sweet young lady who has been waiting very patiently for this quilt without any complaints.  By now she is used to her aunt being a slacker when it comes to delivering gifts on time....even when they aren't homemade.  I hope she will think the quilt was worth the wait.  


I am linking up to Megan's {Sew} Modern Monday.  Head on over to see some great quilty projects!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, Rene', how absolutely beautiful!!! And yes, I think the quilting gods had a chuckle or two :) This quilt sure put you through the wringer, but SO worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the solid you chose and I really love those little hearts! You've inspired me to work on my FMQ more. (And aren't machine trouble the absolute worst??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful - I love those colours and the shoo fly block has always been one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is DEFINITELY worth the wait! She'll love it! The hearts you quilted in there are so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO glad to know that I am not the only slacker Aunt! I'm glad you stuck with it Rene' because your (niece's) quilt is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture of you quilting while tailgating! Your quilt is gorgeous and worth the effort and I hope the worries are going away. Lucky recipient to get such a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome finish! I would have tossed it to the back of the closet with all those troubles. Although the shoo fly is one of my favorites - so I may have made it to the finish as well. It turned out beautiful - and the hearts are a sweet addition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quilt. Worth the wait. And worry free now and full of comfort. Great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colors and I like the hearts quilted into the centers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finish! How do you get so much done? This and the 1600 and so many others!

    ReplyDelete