Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reflections on Quilting

I pulled my Retreat and Baby Boy quilt tops out to prepare them for quilting.


They have both been hanging around for quite some time.  The Retreat quilt just needed a border added, and the Baby Boy quilt just needed ... well, it just needed me to get it quilted.  If you haven't noticed by now, I don't particularly like the quilting part. 

A while back I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't get better at FMQ unless I actually quilted my quilts.  So that's what I did..quilted them all myself.  But my skills didn't improve quickly enough, I really didn't enjoy the process, and I only gifted two quilts at Christmas (and one was done by my longarmer)!

I used to hate hand sewing the binding on my quilts and now I love it!  I am hoping one day to feel the same way about quilting, but in the mean time, I am giving myself permission to occasionally send off quilts to my longarmer to be quilted.

So...the two I mentioned are on their way to Eagle Mountain Quilting.  I can't wait to get my Retreat quilt back (before the next retreat) and to send off the other quilt to Basics (I'm sure they are thinking it's about time).


I am also sending this little heart off to V for her friend.  I made this during my 45 minute 15 minute play time.  Hope she likes it!

Have an amazing day!!!

4 comments:

  1. I hear you about the quilting part. Have you ever tried a long-arm machine? I did at a quilt show and it was really fun. I think so much of the hating quilting comes from trying to manhandle a lot of fabric in a small space. It just is frustrating and tiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think after a while, when you fmq, or machine quilt...you just get tired, anxious and bored. That's the part I hate.

    I love all the colors here in your post and the heart is just precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is a big learning curve when it comes FMQ. Paula Reid has a lot of good tips on her website battsintheattic.com.
    Love your cute little heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the heart! and from what I can see of the other quilts they are nice too.hang in there on the free motion quilting.

    ReplyDelete