Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Has This Ever Happened To You?

I was all set to work on a child's quilt for Margaret's Hope Chest with some Robert Kaufman Animal Party fabric I had ordered online.  I took out the panel of animal blocks and realized that the coordinating fabric was backordered and not in my stash.



I didn't want to wait, so I did something I had never done before.  Went to the local craft store and bought fat quarters in coordinating fabrics.  What could go wrong with that?  I have seen beautiful quilts made from these fabrics.  You don't have to ALWAYS buy the "designer" fabrics....right?!?




I took the panel with me to choose bright, fun fabrics that would look nice in between these animal themed blocks.  The problem arose when trying to remove the stickers from the fat quarters.  What a mess!!!  In some cases, I just couldn't remove all the sticky residue.  Is there some trick to it that I'm not aware of?  Is it just me?  Don't know, but next time, I'll shop at my LQS and trusted online sources just to be sure.




On a fun note, head over to V and Co.'s blog.  She is hosting a giveaway of SEVEN patterns from Kati Cupcake.  They are just too cute!!!  Have an amazing day!!


7 comments:

  1. I have had that happen before and the "sticky" does not come off (or at least I couldn't get it off). I should have returned the fabric, but just tossed it and chalked it up to lesson learned. I won't buy those pre-cut fat quarters anymore...it's just too risky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you fill your sink with warm water, the stickers do come off with some rubbing. I don't always prewash my fabric for quilts...but when the stickies are stuck...this is a good trick. Then you simply hang them outside to dry for a little bit, press to get the wrinkles out and off you go!

    Love the panel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rene,

    I think if wash them the sticky will go away. You can use starch when you iron, so then the fabric will iron better and be more stiff for cutting. I use Marry Ellen best press and I like it.

    Happy sewing!

    P.S. I do try to go to my LQS but I have some fabrics from the craft stores.

    Zlaty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate when that happens! Now I know how to fix it! I love that panel! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a problem with stickers on my fabric but sometimes I've bought fabric with the tag stapled through it. Although I'm able to get the staple out (it's hard on the nails but I can do it) I can't imagine the staples being good for the fabric.

    I've not seen that panel before and am eager to see what it looks like finished.

    Every time I visit your blog I think I need to get going on mine, I just love it here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a mess. Makes sense to shop at trusted sources.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute quilt. I know what you mean about the fat quarters. Some are no problem, but I had to wash one of mine recently in woolite.

    ReplyDelete