Friday, August 15, 2014

Friday Finish: Journal Covers

With the exception of one item, this finish was from a few weeks ago.  Traditionally, we exchange happies (small gifts, just because) at our Gruber's retreat.  This year I made journal covers using Rachel's tutorial.  I love the fact that you can pull from scraps, cut into a favorite fabric, use an orphan block, piece together selvages and customize the cover with the recipient in mind.  I did all of the above!

made in Montana
All of the above covers were made while vacationing in Montana.  When I arrived in Minnesota, I bought the composition books to go inside.  This allowed more fabric in my suitcase without worrying about that pesky weight limit.  You can use any type of composition book, but I like to use the graph paper version.  Quilters love graph paper for sketching out ideas!  

scrappy 36 patch block
I paired each composition book and cover with a fat quarter of Florida flamingo fabric. Before you ask, it's designed by The Quilted Fish for Riley Blake. 

cowboy-themed log cabin
The above cover combines linen, scraps of cowboy fabric from a past project and new "scraps" of Cotton and Steel.

Cotton and Steel version
More Cotton and Steel was used to make this journal cover.

Liberty of London four patch
I cut into my Liberty of London stash to make three of the journals.
Liberty of London strip
This one features one strip of Liberty of London inserted into linen.  I don't have a picture showing the inside which uses fabric my daughter-in-law brought back from Paris that coordinates perfectly.

another Liberty of London
One more with Liberty of London and Weave by Moda.

Anna Maria Horner themed

This composition cover is for my Anna Maria Horner loving friend.

Cotton and Steel selvages
I would buy Cotton and Steel for their selvages alone!  I made this journal cover with the selvages before using the fabrics in any projects.  I must admit it was hard to part with these clever selvages.  Must.buy.more!

That's a tiger....not a cat in the center

My sister was unable to attend this year's retreat.  Being the procrastinator I am, her journal was just made yesterday ;-)))  Sorry Michelle, the QuiltCon pencil is not included!

remembered the label
For Michelle, I used a college ruled notebook rather than the graph paper.  She knows why.

Linking up with finish it up Friday!  
Thanks for stopping by and happy stitching,

11 comments:

  1. Wow....each cover is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These journal covers are just awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I'll bet I know who got the selvedge s : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cool, I'm going to have to make some of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love them! And I love the graph paper too. I'll have to post a pic of a cover my friend Helen made- always on my list of things to try making. Just not enough time in the day to do everything!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift idea for you retreat buddies. The flamingo fabric was a great addition for them to remember you by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The journal cover is a lovely gift, and I'm impressed that you made so many of them! I'm sure they're appreciated. And that Lula Magnolia fabric, with the flamingoes... it's great, isn't it? I bought most of the line and will definitely be using it. It's the perfect "from Florida" fabric. You did very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to make myself a notebook cover. Yours are so nice and how great to get them done while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great journal covers! I love using them and I think they make fab gifts. Your retreat buddies will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Love LOVE my journal cover with all those amazing selvages. Thanks, Rene'. You are such a precious friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My journal cover is amazing Rene'! The lovely Liberty on the cover helps me dream about what I will make one day with Liberty and I've haven't had a graph paper notebook since high school. Starting to plan! Thank you friend.

    ReplyDelete