Wednesday, March 6, 2013

What's Up Wednesday: Good Stuff

Today marks the start of the OrlandoMQG's fourth year!  Whoo hoo!  I paid my dues and got a cool coffee mug with our logo.

March BOM
 Our block of the month for March is the Garden Fence made with modern grays and yellows.  I'm looking forward to making next month's shoo fly block too.  

mini quilt for AAQI
Many members participated in the Madrona Road Challenge and created beautiful blocks and quilts.  I made a mini quilt for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative by machine piecing tiny hexagons (as learned in my QuiltCon class) then machine appliquéing them to a solid background pieced in the text fabric. 

outdoor dining
Several guild members dined alfresco at a nearby restaurant after the meeting.  The food and company were wonderful.  After our QuiltCon adventure, we were missing eating meals together ;-)

new pincushion
Forgot to show the pincushion I received from LAMQG member Licet in a QuiltCon swap.  The pinsies were purchased from this etsy shop.

folding fabric
 When I left for QuiltCon, my sewing room (aka The Lab) was a disaster.  For some strange reason, it was still a disaster when I returned!  I took a picture of the room which even shocked my sister.  After that, I decided something had to be done.  

progress
I pulled out the package of comic book boards I had purchased after seeing That Girl That Quilt's neat and tidy sewing room, and over the weekend I spent some time using Jennifer's fabric folding method in an effort to tame the fabric mess.  

organized fabric
You won't believe how quickly I used up that package of comic book boards.  I had to make an emergency run to the local comic book shop for more.  You think this will enough to organize my stash?

comic book boards
I'm going to be in big trouble if it isn't  ;-)

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.  Thanks for stopping by,

11 comments:

  1. Lots of good stuff today! It's great seeing that picture of the gang enjoying some outdoor dining. I miss doing that so I'm looking forward to Spring. Have fun getting your bolts organized in your Lab.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo. Please show us your Orlando MQG coffee mug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how your MCM bee block came out. Wondering how many book covers you've gone through? I like the idea but think I better stick with what I have right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not sure what a comic book board is, but I want some of that tidyness!! Your folded fabric look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always impressed with the Alzheimer's quilts you do! This month's is very trendy and fresh!

    Thanks for sharing the pictures! I don't get to go to our MQG meetings much anymore since homeschooling....boo hoo...but I love living vicariously through yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always amazed at how my sewing room doesn't clean itself, either! Why is that? Your little AAQI mini is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your yellow and gray block. And when you finish organizing your stash, you are welcome to tackle mine! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great having lunch with you and the OMQG ladies!
    I recently organized my fabric stash with comic book boards and it has made such a difference. (You'll be able to just sit and stare with a smile when it's all done.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rene,
    Congratulations on publishing your first pattern. I love it! I saw the pattern in Craftsy. I would like to buy it. Can I buy it at one of the stores in Orlando? I miss the Orlando MGQ. Maybe I will enjoy the guild next month. I hope I have will have the pattern for the next meeting so that you can sign it.

    I like your block and your AAQI quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there Rene'! It seems like cleaning/organizing fever has taken over after QuiltCon...so many people have been tidying up their creative spaces (including me!). Love that Garden Fence block...one of my favorite quilts ever made was a scrappy Garden Fence for my nieces' graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tip on fabric storage. I'm going to do that, too, when I get my sewing room. Maybe before. So, how do I do my fat quarters and keep them organized????

    Thanks for the link to the block. I appreciate you sharing your monthly guild blocks...we need ideas for our guild! ;-)

    ReplyDelete