Monday, March 18, 2013

Mini Monday: Bee Block

I had so much fun selecting fabrics for this month's MCM Bee block!
Having all my fabric sorted by color, including my scraps, had a big something to do with the fun. I knew right where to find the grays and low volume/value prints required for this block recipe.  

March MCM Bee block
Debbie chose this hugs and kisses block but requested grays instead of white and low volume/value fabrics instead of bright prints.  This is the first time I've made such a block, and I really like the way all the fabrics play together.  Fourteen different fabrics were used in making this block.  There are many favorite prints represented here including Carolyn Friedlander's Architextures, Lizzy House's Charm Bracelets, Denyse Schmidt Hope Valley, two different Comma prints, scraps from other projects, and even some QuiltCon swag!

baby HSTs
I learned from making the siggy swap blocks that if you stitch an extra seam 1/2" away from the original seam before trimming, you end up with cute baby HSTs for future projects. 

small basket holding baby HSTs
 I have a basket full of them - see there on the shelf?!  This bee block is very similarly made, so I did the same thing.  It's nice to add more to my collection.

Happy stitching and thanks for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. What perfect piecing! Love the low volume look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this block popping up and I love it. The low volume - I haven;t seen your group do an ugly one yet...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great block. Your fabric scraps are the best! I really enjoyed this block too

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely Rene'!!! Now I am considering getting a bookshelf and some comic boards!!!!

    ReplyDelete