Monday, November 22, 2010

Sew Day

for me was Cut Day instead!  The Orlando Modern Quilt Guild had their monthly Sew Day on Saturday...seven hours of quilty fun.


I packed up my entire stash of solid fabrics (except for whites, blacks and grays) with plans to cut rectangles/strips for three new quilts.


It was extremely difficult to cut into my stash of solids, especially these latest additions of  Kaffe shot cottons and Moda grunge fabrics.  Next to these, my "normal" solids look blah.


But with the moral support and encouragement (not to mention advice on the most efficient method of cutting) from my friends, cut I did!  Look at the colorful selvages and thin strips that resulted.  I'm not sure if these can be used, but you know I saved them just in case ;-)



By the end of Sew Day, I had three piles of strips.  The first pile has 50 different 4 x 6 inch blocks for Quilt #1.  There are no duplicate fabrics for this quilt.  The second pile for Quilt #2 has approximately 160 strips - half are 1.75 x 7.5 and half are 3.5 x 7.5.  The third and largest pile of strips is for Quilt #3 and has too many strips to count!



The good new is that even after all that cutting, I still have plenty of solids remaining!  Whew, what a relief!  


The bad news is that I still need more solids for Quilt #1...stay tuned for more "Adventures in Solids" ;-)

Have an amazing day!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Busy girl! can't wait to see what you make with all those cut pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Cutting into pretty fabric is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those colors! You have peeked my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colours look gorgeous. I have just received the Modern Quilt Workshop book that you spoke of. Also have the latest book of theirs and can't wait to cut solids-must finish some other projects first!!

    ReplyDelete