Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I Did It!

After much deliberation, I made my first Dear Jane block.


I've been thinking about this project for a while after seeing several out in Blogland.  The only thing I knew for sure, is that I wanted to do it Liberated style....mainly because some of the blocks involved complicated paper piecing which I avoid at all costs!.  

I pondered color choices for a while.  Anya was gracious with her time and advice in answering my many questions and suggested that I graph out my overall color plan.  My idea is to go with Jane's color and fabric scheme with the twist being to use fresh fabrics from modern designers like Rachel is doing with her Modern Siggy Swap.


I started with a really easy one.  This is what they call Simple Simon or M-10.


This is my version.  Really simple block to make.  But I forgot about the Liberated part.

 

Luckily, the block was a tad too big.  I used Gwen's method of liberating nine patches.  You can't really tell since I didn't have much room to work with, but it is a little wonky.



I also got one of my pinwheel blocks done for the Pinwheel Sampler Quilt Along.  I am using Kate Spain's Verna for this project.

Have an amazing day!


7 comments:

  1. Are you handstitching your Dear Jane blocks? It looks like a tempting project to try. Love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rene', you've got such and eye for color and fabric! I love, love, love the pinwheel block! and the idea of a liberated Jane? LOL

    You are way beyond cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're on your way! Can't wait to see more liberated Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the background for the Verna? It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No turning back now (for either project). Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on making your first Dear Jane block! You know what they say about training for a marathon, the hardest step is the very first one. That was great advice about planning out your overall color design! Your first block is lovely!

    I also love your pinwheel block, very fresh, it feels like spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your first block You were smart and planned the colors out ahead of time. I didn't even notice the tatw color setting. I started with the easiest block too, I think it helps to build up your confidence and skill level as you go along. Now I try to make similar blocks together, so that the skills I learn in one block, I can apply to the rest.

    ReplyDelete