Monday, February 13, 2017

Safety First!

Take it from me, you can't be too careful when it comes to using your rotary cutter!  

"Keep your hand elevated, Rene'!"
Even though I practice good habits, always closing my rotary cutter immediately after each "pass" and keeping my fingers away from the edge of the ruler, somehow my rotary cutter managed to jump over the ruler and slice my finger.  It was not a pretty sight.  Of course, I had just changed the blade that morning so it was super sharp.  The incident happened during a guild workshop, and my friends took really good care of me!  That trusty blue painters tape can also be used to wrap bandages ;-)))  Forget bandaids....keep painters tape and gauze in your Sew Together Bag!!!

Four stitches and a finger guard and I am good to go.
For now I am staying away from sharp instruments; not to mention it's difficult to hold a ruler steady with a finger guard on your index finger.


 I find that I can play with Legos though! 


Before slicing my finger in class, I did manage to make a block or two.  
It was a great workshop!

Happy (and safe) stitching,

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I did the exact same thing about six weeks ago. And I had put in a new blade the day before. I'm still suffering the effects. Tender finger tip making it painful to play my mandolin and fiddle. I too used the finger tip protector. There are just too many nerves in our fingertips. This is the second time I've done this in thirty six years of using a rotary cutter. Not too bad an average!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessing it was painful too! I hope you are healing well and are back sewing soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so sorry, I hope you heal very quickly!

    ReplyDelete