Saturday, January 28, 2017

Friday Finish: Circle Play Needle Case


Last week I enjoyed a lovely wool appliqué workshop with Sue Spargo.  She was teaching in nearby Stuart, and several Orlando Modern Quilt Guild members signed up to take her Circle Play Needle Case (which is my finish for this week) class.  It was amazing to get away for a day with friends, and I needed that!
Sue's WIP....obviously not mine ;-)))
The class was hosted by Red Thread Studio and held at Ground Floor Farm.  The weather could not have cooperated any better for such a venue.  The class was held inside (in case you were wondering), but the view to the farm itself was right outside the glass doors where we enjoyed a delicious al fresco lunch.



Sue is an amazing teacher!  Eight different stitches were taught, and Sue spent time with each student making sure we all got it.  I have done some embroidery before, but this was my first time stitching on wool.  I would also say half of the stitches she taught were new to me.

You guessed it...this is MY WIP.
Obligatory group photo
As Sue says, you can keep going, stitching and stitching and stitching....  I found myself doing just that.  You have to call a halt at some point though, right?! 


Here is my finished needle case.  My little case could certainly benefit from a few more stitches, but I am pleased to have a finish.  Not to mention, I can now find my needles!  

Surely I am not the only one that uses a headlamp for hand sewing.
 I changed up the binding from what was in my kit and added a bit of embroidery to the spine.


I am enjoying my hand sewing projects so much that I have neglected my sewing machine.  Finding balance is not my strong suit ;-)))

Ending this post with another lovely Sue Spargo artwork!
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.  Hope you had a productive week!
Thanks for stopping by.  Happy stitching,



5 comments:

  1. I love seeing all those circles together, they look like little confections. That farm looks like a great venue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the value of slow stitching! It is so relaxing and rewarding! There are some stitches there I am wondering about and have never done before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great time, and what a treat to learn all those new stitches. Just think of the possibilities now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun! Both the end product and I suspect your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the embroidery on the spine--

    ReplyDelete