Friday, May 30, 2014

Field Trip Friday: Quilting Florida

Wouldn't it be nice to take a quilty field trip every week?  This past week I was able to venture out with my guild buddy Michele and road trip to Bok Tower Gardens to see Carolyn Friedlander's Quilting Florida exhibit.

Carolyn in front of her exhibit sign

I enjoyed catching up with Michele on the hour drive there and back.  She stays way too busy these days, and I haven't seen her in forever!  Here she is flipping through Carolyn's soon-to-be-released book.
Michele perusing Savor Each Stitch
Carolyn had organized a meetup for locals to see her exhibit, lunch together, tour the Gardens, and spend time chatting and hand stitching on a Saturday afternoon.  She gave us each a mini charm pack of her fabric and an opportunity to peruse two books from the new Lucky Spool Media. I can't until these titles (Carolyn's Savor Each Stitch and Lucky Spool's Essential Guide to Modern Quiltmaking) are released this summer.  Both books look amazing!!!

Excited for this Essential Guide to be released

Olive Single by Carolyn Friedlander
I have seen Carolyn's work before during trunk shows and classes, but it something else seeing so many of her beautiful quilts on display in this fashion.  So inspiring!

Home and Palmetto Single by Carolyn Friedlander
one of my favorites with her Architextures fabric
closeup of the quilting
Meeting other quilters in real life is always a bonus!  

Carolyn groupies
must exchange IG handles

Our Orlando MQG was well represented too!

OMQGers
This was my first time visiting Bok Tower Gardens.  Don't know why I haven't made this stop before.  I will definitely make a return trip....with quilts in hand to photograph ;-))

nice shady spot for hand stitching
a glimpse of the tower

If you are local, Carolyn's exhibit runs until June 4th.  You should check it out!
Enjoy your weekend and thanks for stopping by,

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you to get to go and see it! It looks like a great time with good company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like fun! Even if I left now, I don't think I'd make it in time though! ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! You're making me wish I had been there... as I knew would happen when I didn't go. How nice that you found someone to travel with! Looks like you all had a great time. One of these days, we WILL meet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great outing--friends, fabric, quilts! The great All-American Triple Play (with apologies to baseball fans). Thanks for clueing me in to Carolyn's book--now it's in my Amazon cart!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fabulous show and it's always better with friends.

    ReplyDelete