Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Fun With Leo

Warning:  this is a Leo photo heavy post, but there are some quilting pictures included as well.

I spent a fun week with my grandson (and son) while my daughter-in-law was on a trip with her mom.  I am so thankful to have the time (as well as the cooperation of the rest of my family left at home) to travel three time zones over and lend a hand.  It can be difficult when family is spread all over.  I am sure there are many of you who can relate to this.

Leo and I had a good time with the daily chores....

housework
yard work
"farm" work
We had a few routines....

morning coffee
napping with our quilts
checking our email

napping/not napping
going for a drive
Leo and I took a few field trips....

Island Quilter on Vashon Island, Washington
Quilted Strait in Port Gamble, Washington
Kids Discovery Museum so I will be invited back
I learned Leo loves to take selfies...

first day selfie....love that cute embarrassed shrug he does
last day selfie....looking out the window....

I learned (accidentally) how certain features on my phone works thanks to Leo....

text to my daughter...

....asking for help
this is cool....how do you get to this screen?!
I learned Leo doesn't like to hold hands, but he will occasionally....

my heart just melts
Leo likes to climb like {ahem} someone else....

he didn't learn this from me....no injuries on my watch!
exploring
Port Gamble

Leo showed me the water.....

missed Luke Haynes's exhibit at Island Quilter but he left a few quilts

....and I showed him beautiful quilts made by men.

ManMade3 exhibit at Island Quilter 
Leo against a backdrop of glorious color....Island Quilter

Quilt shops can be a great place to teach kids about color....

Aurifil thread in a rainbow of colors...Quilted Strait
colorful wool....Quilted Strait
Nature is also a good teacher....

Leo prefers the outside to inside of quilt shops!

 You are to be congratulated if you'd made it to the end of this post!!
Thanks for stopping by,

11 comments:

  1. He is adorable. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to spend that special quality time with your little cutie. If we're blessed with grandchildren I hope to be the same kind of grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super cutie. I'm also quite jealous of your getting to go to Island Quilter. Someday I hope to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time you must have had! (My quilt group always stops by Quilted Strait when we meet at Terry's house in Port Angeles.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't stop reading the cute captions : ) Leo is such a doll. That shy smile. Trust a kid to find technical things before we do. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Leo is a cutie-pie, René! The picture of him lying down with the iPhone, and his little crossed ankles is just precious. I love your suggestion that a quilt shop is a great place to teach colors! Must be sure to do that when I'm with ALL FIVE grandchildren in a few days. Not sure if I'll be able to keep up after being worn out at the Paducah AQS show. This has been such an interesting, educational and wonderful experience! Glad to know you're back at home, and I bet you're doing something wonderfully quilty. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had a great time, when are you going back?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You do know how to have fun with a grandchild! It certainly is wonderful to be able to go when they want you. (I'm guessing you haven't worked on many UFOs)?? Or do you even have any?
    Thanks for all the wonderful photos of Leo. It's really nice to watch him grow. (And you get totally sucked in to "grandmotherhood"). It only gets better from here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post! I loved every part of it, and was laughing at the text messages asking what the things were. I sure didn't know and learned a few things tonight while reading.

    So glad you had such a great time with Leo--
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete